Submit Response is a weblog by Jack Mottram, a journalist who lives in Glasgow, Scotland. There are 1308
posts in the archives. You can subscribe to a feed.
This post was made on and belongs in the links category. The previous post was Today’s Links (26/10/08), and the next post is Today’s Links (31/10/08).
Today’s Links (29/10/08)
- Betavine - Betavine
Vodafone’s R&D lab. Lots of interesting stuff, plus drivers for some of the operating systems Vodafone don’t officially support.
- Hands on with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix
It’s kind of cool, but I disabled the special launcher thingy and automatic maximising of windows thingy after a day.
- Lit Without Buildings - The Apocryphal Cartographies of Carroll and Borges : Life Without Buildings
- Linux.com :: Desktop search comparison: Beagle vs. Tracker
I went with Tracker.
- Art and Sports, Meeting on a Level Playing Field - washingtonpost.com
No mention of Douglas Gordon and Philippe Parreno’s Zidane film, weirdly.
- ScribeFire - Blog Editor
Full-featured weblog editor in the form of a Firefox add-on.
- No Labels for the Olsen Twins, Unless It’s Their Own - NYTimes.com
- Bug #286465 in Ubuntu Eee: “Lots of wrong permissions or missing setuid,setgid: /dev/fuse, unix_chkpwd, passwd, mount, ping, …”
Pretty much everything you try to do on Ubuntu Eee (maybe standard Ubuntu too?) is stymied by fucked permissions, or weirdly restrictive permissions. I’m bored of typing
sudo all the time, and I’m nowhere near Linuxy enough to know what permissions things are supposed to have.
- Custom Compiz Effects in Ubuntu 8.04 | Tombuntu
Compiz works just fine on the Eee 701 with 1GB of RAM, which really surprised me. You do have to install this settings manager to turn off a lot of daft stuff - what’s the point of wobbly windows? - but the fancy workspace switching is both pretty and useful.
- Many Tricks · Witch
I used this window switcher for yonks, then forgot about it for some reason. Reinstalled.
- Essentials, 2008 edition [dive into mark]
Mark's fave apps and tools on Linux. GNOME Do, a Quicksilver-equivalent for Linux is really good.
- Like, Socialism: Comment: The New Yorker
Sarah Palin redistributes the crikey out of wealth in Alaska, but Obama is the ‘socialist’? (Alaska has no income or sales tax, but taxes oil companies so heavily they can give citizens $3k a year.)