Submit Response


Submit Response is a weblog by Jack Mottram, a journalist who lives in Glasgow, Scotland. There are 1308 posts in the archives. You can subscribe to a feed. This post was made on and belongs in the places category. The previous post was , and the next post is .

North Sentinel Rescue

Back in February of 2006 I quoted at length from a piece by Adam Goodheart relating a 1981 encounter with the Sentinelese people, an isolated hunter-gatherer society who live on one of the Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal.

Last week, I received an email from Bob Fore, wonderfully titled ‘I Am The Helicopter Pilot In The North Sentinal Rescue’ and telling of Bob’s role in the rescue of the sailors of the Primrose, who were stranded on a coral reef off North Sentinel Island, and under attack by the Sentinelese tribe.

Mr. Mottram,

It was with no small amount of interest that I read the article (while surfing the internet) that you wrote on the 9th of February, 2006 concerning a helicopter rescue in the Andaman Islands located in the Bay of Bengal. You see, I was one of the helicopter pilots that flew the three trips to the M.V. Primrose to rescue the crew after it ran aground off the north shore of North Sentinal Island.

For the most part, [the] description of the incident was correct, thought there were several points that were in error, almost certainly because they were of no major import. One of the inconsistencies was that the helicopter which performed the rescue was in fact a civilian helicopter belonging to P.T. Airfast Services, Indonesia, which we worked for. We were supporting an Oil And Natural Gas Commision (ONGC- Indian Govt. Agency) contract, which provided off-shore helicopter support to an oil exploration rig (if memory serves, it was the Gettysburg) located off the northwest shore of Andaman Island. Robert Fore (myself) and Vic Wiersba) were the two pilots which flew the mission on August the 2nd, 1981.

We had a developed a friendship with Admiral Sawnhi, the Indian Naval District Commander, during our stay at Port Blair. We were approached by his office on the morning of the rescue with the information concerning a grounded ship with crew still aboard on North Sentinel Island. There had been a typhoon which forced the ship aground on the island in the preceeding week. We were asked if we could provide rescue services for the crew, since the Indian Navy had no ships or helicopters in the immediate area, and it would take several days for them to arrive.

We agreed to attempt the rescue, but had little in the way of concrete information to work with in the preparations for the attempt. We did construct a rudimentary rope ladder in the event we would not be able to land the helicopter on the Primrose’s deck. Also, an Indian Naval aviator (fixed-wing) Lt. Gadhok, who was assigned to the Naval District Command, volunteered to accompany us. It was hoped he might provide valuable support for organizing the crew for rescue, once he was on-board the ship.

The aircraft was an S-58T Sikorsky, a modified twin-turbine design helicopter, which could hold a max of 16 passengers and 2 pilots. We flew to the site of the shipwreck, and saw that the vessel had been driven far up on the reef, more than a 1/4 mile, and that while there was still large 15 or 20 foot waves pounding the vessel, there was no chance that it would sink, or for that matter ever see service again.

The deck had several cranes spaced approximately 50 feet apart, with cargo hatches in between. It was felt that we would be able to land the helicopter with a couple feet of clearance on both sides of the rotor system to the sides of the helicopter. We accomplished the first landing with 30 plus knot crosswinds, and touched down our wheels on the hatch covers. Due to loading, and weather conditions, it was decided to take off equal numbers of crewmen on each of 3 trips. I believe the total was 33 crew, and the mascot dog. We did not take any personal gear, because that would have meant extra trips, and under the poor weather conditions we did not have any desire to push our luck any more than was necessary for the savings of lives.

It was well known that the ship was aground on a very dangerous island, and that they had come under the threat of attack from the native tribe. Their first attempt to reach the Primrose had failed when the rudimentary boats they had tried to construct had foundered in the heavy surf. But the situation was becoming more dangerous because of gradually improving weather conditions. This could allow the native to get much closer to the ship. As it was, the natives had not even learned the art of placing feathers on the several foot long arrows they had, which only allowed a practical effective range of perhaps 30 or 40 meters. The ship was more like 100 meters from shore.

A previous attempt to reach the crew of the Primrose was attempted by a Indian Navy (Cutter) which had no helicopter. The ships doctor and a crewman had attempted to reach the ship from just beyond the drop-off offshore, but the inflatable nearly foundered, and they were lucky to get back to their vessel. I assume they were the ones that called for assistance once they realized they could not do anything.

When we made our approach for the first landing with heavy cross-winds, it was very difficult to determine clearance on the rotor blades from the derricks. After the first landing we found we had about 2 feet of clearance on each side of the aircraft. On the subsequent approaches, Lt. Gadhok provided ground assistance for clearnace of our rotors from the obstructions. The rope ladder idea was discarded as unnecessary, even though the weather conditions were not ideal. The thought of hovering for extended periods above deck, with people climbing a rope ladder did not appeal to us. We did not at any time during the morning see any island natives. They were almost certainly there observing, but whether from fear of the helicopter, or whatever other reason, theey did not make themselves known to us. After the third trip, all aboard were rescued, and our part in the mission was concluded. A couple days later, a Indian Navy cruiser, with a Alouette helicopter arrived, and the helicopter evacuated the personal effects of the crew, I believe by using a rescue hoist.

I just thought you might find the account of interest, since you had been intrigued enough to write about this event. I do have some photographs of the ship run aground taken from the air, and during our apporach to the ship, as well as some taken on-deck after our first landing. But the photos are in storage in my household goods in the Philippines, and it will not be until later next year before I could get access to them.

Sincerely yours,

Bob Fore

Posted at 12am on 01/12/07 by Jack Mottram to the places category.
Permalink · Add to
Tags: ,

Comments are closed

Comments are currently closed on this entry.
  1. Did Bob ever post the wreck pics online ?

    Posted by Nigel at 11pm on 23.01.08

  2. Dear Mr Motram,
    I read with particular interest the PRIMROSE rescue article by Bob Fore as the Lt. Gadhok mentioned could have been my cousion who was a helicopter pilot in Indian forces and was unfortunately shot down and killed somewhere in north Indian borders. Mr Fore’s photos will be of great interest.
    Harish Gadhok

    Posted by HARISH GADHOK at 11pm on 05.02.08

  3. Mr. Motram,

    I read the response from Mr.Harish Godhok, and hopefully during my next visit to the Philippines, I will be able to retrieve my stored photographs of the rescue.. I will be happy to provide those photographs over the internet for anyone interested to see.

    My sincerest condolences o Mr. Godhok over the loss of his cousin, even if it maynot be the same Lt. Godhok. The Lt. Godhok I knew was an Islander pilot assigned to the Indian Naval District Headquarters in Port Blair.

    If Mr Godhok wishes, you can ive him my e-mail, and I will certainly send him the files. I can not honestly remember if the Lt. was in any of the photos taken, but he was a kind an frindly man, and he will always be fondly remembered by me.


    Bob Fore

    Posted by Robert Fore at 12pm on 01.06.08

  4. I was wondering how I could contact Mr. Fore. I am an old friend who use to work with him from Jacksonville, Florida and would love to touch base with him. If you would give me his email address or have him email me at, it would be great. Thank you. Chuck Patterson

    Posted by Chuck Patterson at 5pm on 05.06.08

  5. Reference above story, I ma not sure about Bob Fore but I did know Vic Wiersba when I worked In Indonesia with PT NUH. I was a loadie with NUH at that time and I worked at Muarateweh and Sorong. I would like to contac Vic if possible,

    Bernard A Morris

    Posted by Bernard Morris at 3pm on 27.08.08

  6. Please let me know if any photos were ever posted. Thanks!

    Posted by Jay Martin at 6am on 07.08.09

  7. I remember the rescue attempt. The ONGC people hired a house belonging to a friend of mine. I used to visit the runway where they had a couple of Bell helicopters also.

    The rescued dog was left behind by the crew of the Primrose and was adopted by Mr Siama, the IG of Police. It’ll be wonderful to see some photos of the rescue.

    Posted by Francis at 7pm on 27.11.10

  8. My name is Robert Fore, and I am the one of the pilots mentioned in my response message on this website. I will be happy to forward to anyone interested in seeing them, the photographs of the rescue we conducted. They are quite faded with age, much like me, but they still give a good representation of what it was like on the day of the rescue. My contact Info:

    Posted by Robert Fore at 12pm on 18.12.10

  9. The photos from the Primrose rescue can be found at this site:

    Bob Fore

    Posted by Robert Fore at 2pm on 24.12.10

  10. BGiAeM

    Posted by frenky at 3am on 08.05.11

Recent Posts